There have been Magic Clubs in Grand Rapids since 1925. Only four years after the International Brotherhood of Magicians was founded, the Grand Rapids Magic Club was awarded a charter and became Ring 16. In the late 40’s, Ring 16 became inactive. One of our late members, Earl Ray Wilcox, was a very young affiliate of that club. As membership was not open to women at that time, June Horowitz was elected an Honorary Member. June, of course, eventually went on to become International President of the IBM.
Ring 211 was started as an independent club by magician Bob Kramer in 1969. Two years later, the group applied to the International Brotherhood of Magicians, and became the John deVries Ring 211, named for the now-departed Magi-Minister, inventor, and prop-builder known, loved, and respected by magicians all over Michigan.
Ring 211 Activities
Our General Meetings are held on the fourth Monday of each month, except for November which is the third Monday, August which is our Club Picnic, and December in which we do not meet.
Many Members arrive early for dinner in our private meeting room, and we ask that all orders are placed by 6:30 so the meeting is not interrupted.
The meetings begin at 7:30 with our monthly Workshop conducted by one of our Members followed by the Business Meeting. After a short refreshment break, The formal Program begins at about 8:00.
Every year in November, Ring 211 holds its Hocus Pocus Party. This is a full evening of magic open to the public, with Close-up, food, and a formal Stage Show. The Hocus Pocus Party is extremely popular in Grand Rapids, and tickets are in great demand.
The profits from the Hocus Pocus Party support our lectures, allowing Members to attend free of charge, and guests for a nominal fee.
Our Board meetings are the second Monday of each month. Time and location for all Ring activities are typically posted in our Events Calendar.
Can I visit a Club Meeting?
Of course, and we would love to have you. You may attend as a visitor 3 times, and after that you would have to become a member. Just contact one of our members or officers, and tell us about your interest in magic. If that interest is sincere, you will be invited to attend and join.
How do I join?
First, you must be (or become) a member of The International Brotherhood of Magicians.
We can fix you up with the paperwork at the meeting.
Dues for the national organization are:
INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF MAGICIANS
CLASSES OF MEMBERSHIP FEES AND DUES
- ACTIVE MEMBERSHIP: Application fees and dues for the first year are $65.00. Dues thereafter are $50.00 annually. Active Members receive THE LINKING RING Magazine as a benefit of membership.
- ACTIVE MEMBERSHIP (without Linking Ring magazine): Application fees and dues for the first year are $45.00. Dues thereafter are $30.00 annually. Active Members may choose to NOT receive THE LINKING RING Magazine as a benefit of membership.
- YOUTH MEMBERSHIP: Application fees and dues for the first year are $50.00. Dues thereafter are $35.00 annually. Youth Members receive THE LINKING RING Magazine as a benefit of membership. Applicants must be age 7 to 17 and have had an interest in magic for at least one year.
- YOUTH MEMBERSHIP (without Linking Ring magazine): Application fees and dues for the first year are $30.00. Dues thereafter are $15.00 annually. Youth Members may choose to NOT receive THE LINKING RING Magazine as a benefit of membership. Applicants must be age 7 to 17 and have had an interest in magic for at least one year.
- ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP: Application fees and dues for the first year, $30.00. Dues thereafter are $15.00 annually. Associate Members DO NOT receive THE LINKING RING Magazine. Applicants MUST BE SPOUSE OR BONAFIDE ASSISTANT of an Active Member and be over 18 years of age.
To become a member of Ring #211, you will have to fill out an application, have it endorsed by 2 members, pay your dues, and perform 3 tricks at our regular meeting. We aren’t looking for your skill level, we just want to see that you’ve invested some time and effort into our art, and get some free entertainment.
Ring 211 annual dues are:
$20 for Active Membership, $10 for Junior Membership, and $10 for Associate membership
A youth who is at least 7 up to age 17 may join as a youth member. They may even join MYI (Magic Youth International) and in addition to the Linking Ring they receive Top Hat magazine. This is a youth organization developed through the IBM. MYI web site is www.magicyouth.com and can be also reached through the IBM site.
IBM Ring 211’s Constitution and Bylaws