Fielding West is not only a magician’s magician but he possesses that very rare and impeccable sense of comedic timing that has landed him the opening spot for some of the biggest names in show business. A winner in the prestigious Desert Magic Seminar’s Comedy Magic Competition, he has opened the show for such A-List celebrities as Liza Minnelli, Glen Campbel, Earth, Wind and Fire, Mel Tillis, Phillis Diller, and many more.
He has had numerous network television appearances which included spots on The Smothers Brother’s Comedy hour, A&E’s An Evening at the Improv, Caroline’s Comedy Hour, and NBC’s The World’s Greatest Magic and World’s Wildest Magic specials. He has also worked as a writer, magic consultant and technical director with Lance Burton, Siegfried and Roy on many of their television specials. Fielding’s first one hour comedy magic special “Hocus Pocus It’s Fielding West” aired on WGN.
He has been on a recent lecture tour which included stops in Michigan: Ring 210/Assembly 88 in Ann Arbor, Ring 22 in Detroit, and Ring 211 in Grand Rapids. This writing is from the lecture for Ring 211.
Fielding’s lecture covered wide areas of magic and comedy . . . and NO cards.
- The Fielding West finger ring vanish and reappearance
- Large coin tricks
- Cigarette through coins using a crayon and other manipulations
- New uses for a thumb tip . . . as a one-way dye tube for a color change silk routine
- Unpublished dye tube techniques taught to Fielding by Dai Vernon
- All of his balloon tricks (published and unpublished), swallowing, and how to pull a fully inflated 260Q from your mouth at any point in your act, and how to produce a fully inflated balloon from a bag of balloons. Also his explanation with the surprise of his “Phantom Cigarrette.”
- DOVE magic – Fielding makes and sells Johnny Thompson’s “Wings of Warsaw” dove production (with his permission) and teaches how to produce several other inanimate objects from the same harness for the non-dove workers. This included his torn and restored head of a dove routine.
- The Fielding West glass of liquid production
- Fielding’s techniques for developing comedy from common magic props. To be funny, hang out with funny people. Read and study comedy.
- Fielding’s head painting routine and his comedy opening routine
- Staging techniques for performing more professionally. Proper stretching, breathing, and hydration. Have first two paragraphs memorized. Proper walk on, speech, and eye contact.
Fielding’s lecture was filled with laugh provoking comedy and strong magic. The lecture was extremely entertaining as well as very informative. He had for sale 117 Ideas (a booklet on speaking) by Tom Kirby, his version of The Wings of Warsaw, and DVD’s The Magic Of Fielding West, How To Be The Life Of The Party, and The Fielding West Comedy Magic Show. This lecture was through John Luka of Ring 22. Visit Fielding’s web site as http://www.fieldingwest.com. Ring 211 along with the magic clubs in Ann Arbor and Detroit highly recommend Fielding to any club.