“Holy Shoot!” Yes, just not the name of his web site, but that is what Ring 211 members were saying during and after a lecture by world renowned magi Shoot Ogawa. Shoot had the pleasure of presenting a lecture to Ring 211 — The June Horowitz/John deVries Magic Club — in Grand Rapids, Michigan on Sunday, November 16.
Shoot Ogawa was born and raised in Tokyo, Japan. He began magic at the age of 10. He has been featured on almost and every television channel in Japan and has performed his magic for talk shows, variety shows, and children’s shows. He has produced more than ten videos featuring his original magic. He has also starred as a character in “Magic Master”, a popular Japanese teenager comic book. Now living in the United States, he speaks fluent English and he has maintained two homes – in Los Angeles near the Magic Castle and Las Vegas.
From 1993 to the present, he has won first place in more than ten competitions. In 2002, he took first place in London’s MacMillan International Magic Convention and amazed the magic world with his Doubled-Hand Matrix and Ninja Rings routines. In March 2003, Magic Magazine featured Shoot on the cover. In the same year, he was awarded “Magician of the Year” in the Close-up Category by the American Academy of Magical Arts. In August 2003, Shoot’s biography was published in Japan.
Since moving to America, he has been featured in many major events including the famous Rolling Stone Party. He has also been intimately involved in the Japanese community. In January 2004, “Lighthouse”, one of the most popular Japanese publications named Shoot Ogawa as one of the three best Japanese entertainers in America.
Shoot is a creator and performer of beautiful magic. His original magic has been featured in many magazines and tender through his numerous videos. He’s also an advisor/consultant for TV and live events. Shoot knocked us off our feet with his magic!
Highlights of his lecture were:
- his flip stick routine using a magic wand and a silk
- a multi and color changing thimble production routine
- Jumbo Three Card Monte — $20 dollar bill being produced from two of the cards
- Numbers — multi card selection and reveal routine at the “numbers.”
- French Drop routine
- a mental card selection and revelation
- 50/50 Chance — an eight card Brainwave
- a coin and card matrix routine involving his Giza Matrix and a reverse matrix
- Passenger Seat — an impressive coin vanish and reappearance routine using the
- Downs’ palm but we were seeing what the person in the passenger’s view was not his Ninja Rings
- Flash — a four Queen production including the last Queen being produced from inside the deck box which was produced right from the deck of cards
- a rope and knot routine including a “no ends” to a multi ends to a knotted to a single rope with use of a spectator
Shoot had his “Oh Shoot Lecture 2014 Notes” for sale, his thimbles, and the following DVD’s: White Album (with Masahiro Yanigida), Rope, Co-in-ci-dence, Easy Hard, The Ninja, Ninja Rings 30th Anniversary (with Masahiro), Thimble, Wand, and The Coins (volumes One, Two, and Three).
Ring 211 was fully delighted with Shoot Ogawa and we recommend him to any club. Also, a special thanks to him for tagging along with a few of us as we later that night visited with PIP Mike Stratman and Bill Wells at a downtown hotel to “shoot the magic bull.” They were here for a site visit for a possible future I.B.M. International Convention. I.B.M. Grand Rapids Yes!
Back by popular demand . . . Wayne Houchin!
Four days later, Wayne presented his current lecture titled “Strange Ideas.” During his lecture he shared with us how he develops and his ideas and his magic routines. His focus: a transformation of ideas.
Wayne Houchin’s work as a performance artist, magician and daredevil has made him one of the most popular and exciting mystery entertainers in the world. Wayne has been described as equal parts con-man, street magician, and daredevil. In 1999 he made headlines when he successfully escaped from a strait-jacket while hanging 50 feet above a crowded intersection – he was 16 years old. His work as a performance artist, magician and daredevil has made him one of the most popular and exciting mystery entertainers in the world. His acclaimed performance and lecture tour has taken him to more than 30 countries. He has appeared on NBC’s Today Show, headlined the world- famous Magic Castle in Hollywood, made history in the Dominican Republic by stopping time during a live nationally televised stunt, and has been a guest speaker at Trinity College’s Science Gallery. He currently stars in the Discovery Channel’s Breaking Magic / Magic of Science which has been watched by more than 100 million people worldwide. More about Wayne on his web site, www.waynehouchin.com.
Highlights of his lecture were:
- Transformation of a Torn Bill Between Two People
- Drawing Impossible Location — drawing burned and appeared from pocket, then again and appeared from envelope held by spectator from the beginning
- Helium — balloon controlled down and up on string
- Unshuffling Rebecca — his version of Paul Harris’ routine, a blackjack card routine
- a card trick not seemed to be a card trick, Influence using the Monte Cristo Deck and Houdini’s Influence
- A Single Needle — swallowing a needle and retrieving it on a string, the preamble was tying two cherry stems together in his mouth which sets the contrast.
- French Kiss — two separate signatures on two separate sheets of paper switch
The first part of his lecture had many of his routines in his booklet, “Remix.” His DVD’s available at the lecture were: Distortion, Thread, Indecent, Stigmata, Remix, A Single Needle, French Kiss, Influence, and Houdini’s Influence. Tycoon Cards were available from Theory 11. We were well entertained, enjoyed his lecture, and recommend Wayne to any club. Visit him at his web site.
Also a thanks to Dave Bogdan (firstname.lastname@example.org), our lecture chairman, for this “double- whammy” of lectures.